OUR 
Communities

logo_final with white outline -1.png

Defiance County covers 412 square miles in the northwest corner of Ohio. The county includes 12 townships, three villages and the City of Defiance. 

Defiance County has a long history of change and growth. It is currently composed of twelve townships, Adams, Defiance, Delaware, Farmer, Hicksville, Highland, Mark, Milford, Noble, Richland, Tiffin and Washington covering 412 square miles. Defiance County includes three incorporated villages, Hicksville, Ney and Sherwood, and the City of Defiance. There are also a number of unincorporated areas.

Today, Defiance County offers a variety of cultural opportunities from its large, enclosed shopping and strip malls to the many quaint family-owned specialty shops. People come from all over the United States and Canada to enjoy the pleasant rural rolling farm land setting. From the rivers and waterways to the many church and community festivals, Defiance County offers a great family environment for residents and visitors alike.

City of Defiance
The City of Defiance serves as the county seat and is home to approximately 17,000 residents, along with many of the county’s major employers. It was named a 2014-15 Best Hometown by Ohio Magazine and features a revitalized downtown, charming shops and two rivers. There are many excellent sites available for consideration, with convenient access to transportation.

 

Village of Hicksville
Hicksville, founded in 1836, is a community that continues to grow. The village is home to an industrial park and a beautiful downtown, with a variety of businesses supplying everything from auto parts and furniture to flowers and food. Hicksville also has several social and civic organizations, a village park and other amenities that appeal to businesses, residents and visitors.

Village of Sherwood
Sherwood is named for Congressman, Union Army officer and newspaper editor, General Isaac Sherwood. This quaint community has a population of approximately 850 people and features several small businesses and a park.

Village of Ney

A former variant name of Ney was Georgetown. The community was platted as Georgetown in 1846. The present name honors Michel Ney, a French officer. As of the census of 2010, there were 354 people, 130 households, and 98 families living in the village.